Sunday, 8 September 2013

A Lovely Day Out at Staunton Harold Reservoir and the Ferrers Centre



A couple of weeks ago, before my house move and internet-loss, I went with the family to Staunton Harold Reservoir and the nearby Ferrers Centre. 
This is the kind of day out that makes me feel like a right class act - one where I drink tea and come home with things like candles and locally-made jams and a feeling of superiority



The Reservoir, in Derbyshire, is a beautiful place. You can walk through the woodlands by the reservoir, which is really pretty, and there are so many lovely places for a picnic, including the picnic area by the main car park. 

There's also a lovely clean children's play area. Note the clean. I do dislike trying to persuade my child away from a manky play area. Why don't kids see dirt like adults do? Why is this? 

I believe you can sail on the lake too, but obviously I am far too lazy for that sort of behaviour. 


The Ferrers Centre for Arts and Crafts is barely two minutes drive away, so it's worth going to both. I keep going back to the Ferrers Centre again and again - you can find so many unusual things from the workshops which are all set up in the old stables.


Below is the courtyard, with giant chess and a little cafe if you need a cup and tea and a sit-down to recover from all the looking at lovely stuff and feeling middle-class that you will inevitably be doing.


You can see all the pretty shops around the side. My daughter loves the Paint-a-Pot workshop, which is exactly what it sounds like, and my belly loves Breadfirst Deli. 
My husband bought a beautiful bracelet for me for my birthday a couple of years ago from the Ferrers Gallery, which is full of locally-made jewellery, textiles and art.
And if you go into the Victorian Model Workshop, be sure to say hi from me to the mechanical talking owl.


This shop, for example, is called The Catherine Wheel. Don't you just want to rummage in there?


You can also wander through (some of) the grounds of Staunton Harold Hall and Estate. 
This duck was like a dog, and for a while I seriously considered bringing her home, but one can never predict how well wild ducks will get on with my cat. Not well, I'd imagine. So I didn't risk it. 


There is also a garden centre with a lovely cafe in it nearby, where you can get "tea for two" in a giant teapot that gives you a magnificent eight cups. Eight cups of tea! And cake! That's a perfect day out, right there.


5 comments:

  1. Oh wow this looks such a lovely place :)
    I can understand what you mean when you say you some back feeling of superiority.
    Such lovely photos as well!

    Leah @ Peaches and Smoke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah that's a silly thing to say, but you know what I mean - it's just like "I did pleasant civilized things today! Go me!" It is a great place. xx

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely and any place that has a coffee shop is worth exploring! Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes! Two coffee shops! Doubly worth exploring :-)

      Delete

Agree? Disagree? Please leave a comment and make me smile!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...